1, Mahatma Gandhi Road, Shivaji Nagar, Bengaluru Bengaluru Urban 560001
History of St. Marks Cathedral Church
St. Mark’s Cathedral is named after Saint Mark (believed to be the first gospel writer) and is located at the west end of Mahatma Gandhi Road, MacIver Town, Bangalore. Its architecture is inspired by the 17th century St Paul’s Cathedral. The church serves as the Cathedral (Ecclesia Matar) of the Church of South India, Karnataka Central Diocese. Found in 1808, the cathedral celebrated its 200 years bicentenary in 2007-8.
The cathedral is open for all people irrespective of religion or faith.
The foundation stone was laid in 1808, and construction was completed in 1812. The church was consecrated by the Bishop of Calcutta in 1816. The church was expanded in 1901, and went through reconstruction in 1927. The church had its beginnings as a garrison Anglican church. It became part of the Church of South India after Indian independence in 1947, going on to be the Cathedral of the Karnataka Central Diocese in 1961.
When it began as a garrison church in 1808 of the Madras Army of the East India Company, it has a seating capacity of 400. As a result of the number of members growing to 2000, a new building was constructed in August 1902, with a seating capacity of 700. However, this new church building collapsed, and had to be rebuilt again in 1906. On 17 February 1923, the church building was ravaged by fire (caused by short circuit) and restoration had to take place. However, as the renovation works were about to be completed in February 1924, the church building again collapsed. Reconstruction of the church started in 1926 and was completed in 1927.
The first Indian Presbyter of the cathedral was Rev H F J Daniel, who was installed as the Presbyter-in-charge in 1961.
The military colors of the 77th Moplah Rifles infantry Regiment, after disbandment, is buried on the west wall of St. Marks. There is also a memorial for the lives lost in the Moplah revolt. There are also memorial plaques for several British officers who lost their lives in the Bangalore Cantonment.
A Tucks Post card, published in 1930, could not be unfortunately displayed here, due to licensing issues. It can be seen at this link St. Mark’s Church, Bangalore
The cathedral is a beautiful colonial style, modeled on the lines of the St Paul’s Cathedral, London, with a dome, semi-circular chancel and Roman arches. The entrance of the cathedral has elaborate woodwork with ornate carvings. The ceilings and the domes are majestically done. The bell is the amongst the most well-maintained church bells in India. The stained glasswork adds to the beauty of the cathedral.
9:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
080 2221 3633